It Costs Millions Of Pounds
You may remember that my Spoonful of Bullshit thought ended with a throwaway line about Homeopathy. Actually I had high hopes that the government might take a step towards rationality because in 2010 the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee produced a report entitled “Evidence Check 2: Homeopathy” which included many unequivocal conclusions and recommendations. There is a link to the report opposite but here is their final conclusion:
33. By providing homeopathy on the NHS and allowing MHRA licensing of products which subsequently appear on pharmacy shelves, the Government runs the risk of endorsing homeopathy as an efficacious system of medicine. To maintain patient trust, choice and safety, the Government should not endorse the use of placebo treatments, including homeopathy. Homeopathy should not be funded on the NHS and the MHRA should stop licensing homeopathic products. (Paragraph 157)
Well Whitehall’s wheels grind slowly but the government’s response has now been published. Again there is a link to the whole document opposite. Here is just one quote:
8. We agree with many of the Committee’s conclusions and recommendations. However, our continued position on the use of homeopathy within the NHS is that the local NHS and clinicians, rather than Whitehall, are best placed to make decisions on what treatment is appropriate for their patients – including complementary or alternative treatments such as homeopathy – and provide accordingly for those treatments.
And here is a summary in my own words:
Homeopathy is bullshit – we know homeopathy is bullshit – anyone who says it isn’t is talking bullshit. But we are going to go on making it seem legitimate by continuing to spend millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money on this complete ****ing bullshit!
The theory of homeopathy sounds a bit like vaccination which may be why some people fall for it. It is nothing like vaccination.
Vaccination is based on a sound rational theory and has proved itself in numerous proper clinical trials. It has saved millions of lives all over the world and has even driven Smallpox to extinction.
Now that is the power of REAL science!
Actually, maybe there is something to homeopathy after all. Just thinking about it is making my blood boil!
And Hundreds of Lives
Back in January 2010 Newsnight did a very good article about a supposed “Bomb Detector”.
This device was built from about £5 worth of bits-n-bobs from Maplins which was being sold for thousands of pounds to security companies in Iraq. It was complete nonsense of course, it was basically a dowsing rod made of plastic and metal instead of a hazel twig.
There is no doubt that hundreds of people have died and been maimed because of this heartless, shameful, miserable con.
Anyway the reason I bring it up is that the man responsible, Jim McCormick, has just had his bail extended for the fourth time. I will keep an eye on this and let you know.
If this murderous, conning, bastard doesn’t go to prison for a very long time then there really is no justice.
Homeopathy Report and Response
- The Science and Technology Committee report
- The Goverment’s response
- Dave Cross Blog Dave started an E-Petition to try to make the government implement the report’s recomendations. It was Dave’s blog that alerted me to the fact that the government had finally issued it’s weasel words.
Jim McCormick and his deadly “bomb detector”
- BBC Newsnight article
- Iraqi collusion and corruption
- A brilliant TED Talk by Michael Shermer. The ADE561 gets a mention at the beginning